Sunday, June 10, 2012

Isolation

.

 (photos of ceramic donkey, isolated from their backgrounds)


ISOLATION

Oh, give thanks to the Lord for an isolated life.
Quiet rooms, space to move about inside
When I’m not much for going outside.
Eat when I wish to, not by the clock.
Eat what I’m allowed to, not what others would serve.
Sleep in, of a morning, if I need to.
Not much exposure to other people’s germs.  (hurray!)
Not forced to listen to disparaging prattle
That comes from the lips of  “some people”.
No keeping up with the Joneses,
No coping with a cranky boss or a long commute.
I can tell what day of the week and date it is,
By the computer clock, or the evening paper.
Few appointments equal lowered stress.

Oh, give thanks to the Lord that I have the luxury
Of filtering out the unnecessary distractions
That clutter many others’ life-pictures.
More time to focus on the main object(s),
Things that matter a lot:
Prayer, and praising God with thanksgiving.
A quiet nook and good books to read.
Not determined to set 10-year-big-accomplishment list,
Or show off a high-profile style.

Weakness and weariness, yes, that I have to put up with.
Pain, too much of it, all the time, all the way,
Surely wasn’t my idea to bring happiness!
Missing church too often,
Missing friends just as often,
Missing stimulation of being out and about
Where there are colors, and smiles, and bustling activity
And creative designs and important speeches and such.
There are a lot of things I could be unthankful about!
But it’s healthier for me to tune out the importance
Of things I can’t do.
And to choose to rejoice that there are still
A few simple activities I can do.
Oh, give thanks to the Lord for an isolated life.
“He who began a good work in me will finish it…”
And for that, I will praise him always.

© 2012 by Marilee Miller


This post is shared with L. L. Barkat and Laura Boggess

 On In Around button






Dear Friends, your comments will be much appreciated.  How may I be friends with you today?



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for modeling a grateful heart...praying you feel His love surrounding you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Eat when I wish to, not by the clock.”
    Not bound by time, just living life minus schedules that bind.
    This sounds like one living in solitude.
    A minimum of germs – yes!
    And this, “Not forced to listen to disparaging prattle.” My bête noire :-(
    “Oh, give thanks to the Lord that I have the luxury
    Of filtering out the unnecessary distractions
    That clutter many others’ life-pictures.”
    I’m a Mary too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, MM, I send you {{HUGS}}. Bless you, with that dear heart of yours, to write this beautiful poetry... to see the beauty of what you go through... {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you make that little donkey? She is quite beautiful.

    Your bravery in bearing thecross of living with pain always humbles me, but this naming of the burdens that you are able to avoid just brings me to my knees. Life can. One day there will be no more pain or sorrow and death itself will pass away. Glory. What a beautiful day that will be.

    ReplyDelete

I would rejoice greatly to receive a comment from you, thanks.