Wednesday, April 21, 2010

ART, WORSHIP, and A LOWLY TURNIP


















ART, WORSHIP, AND A LOWLY TURNIP

Sometimes food preparation can take a long time.
Why? Because I end up stopping to arrange the parts.
Then maybe I’m prompted to take a snapshot -- or five.

The turnip is such a basic veggie!
Not beautiful or bright-clean-color,
Not glorious in shape or outstanding in size.
I’m not even fond of the taste of simple-turnip.
(Not when raw, and not when cooked.)
But if my imagination cooks up a rare dish –
Turnip pancakes, turnip-cinnamon bread,
Or raw thin turnip slice with salsa and cream cheese –
Then I can participate in the food uses of a turnip.

First, however, I get to play with the pieces.
The peelings. The parts that will go in the garbage
Once I’m done exercising my creativity.
No, I didn’t start out to make art!
I was just getting this turnip ready to cook.
But suddenly my playful side tugged at my heart.

Creativity is a gift of God. In imagining food as art,
I bring an offering of worship-praise to the Living God.
“Thank you, Lord, for giving me eyes to see
Reminders of Your beauty, yes, even in a lowly turnip.”

© 2010 by Marilee Miller


.

1 comment:

I would rejoice greatly to receive a comment from you, thanks.